Well, it’s the last Friday Food of July so I thought giving you another fun picnic classic with a twist was in order. Remember last week when we talked dessert hummus for the cookout I attended? Since I wasn’t 100% sure how that would go over I also made a batch of crispy treats, but not name brand and certainly not boring!
While at FitBloggin I was given more amazing boxes of Attune Foods‘ cereal, Erewhon. Previously I made no-bake breakfast bars with this GREAT brand. This time I received corn flakes and cocoa crispy brown rice. After learning it wasn’t easily bought in a store local to me (sad panda) I didn’t want to part with my new favorite cereals! Luckily I had some left overs from my previous non-cocoa varieties and being the genius I am…I got to work.
Chocolate Cherry Crispy Treats
What you will need:
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups miniature marshmallows
- 6 cups cereal
- 2-3 tablespoons cocoa powder (if not using a cocoa cereal)
- 1 cup dark cherries (pitted and sliced)
- .5 – 1 cup miniature chocolate chips
- If not using the cocoa cereal combine the cereal and cocoa powder in a large bowl and mix with hands until all pieces are well coated
- Prepare your serving dish (probably a 9 x 13 pan), most easily by lining it with parchment paper or foil
- In a large sauce pan, melt over low heat, careful not to burn
- Add in marshmallows and stir until well blended
- Combine with cereal either in the sauce pan or in a new bowl. I found it easier to use a new bowl and while some may use a wooden spoon or spatula I used my hands. Yes, it hurt a little, but I think it mixed things better
- Now pour and spread your mixture into the baking dish. Using a buttered spoon/spatula may be helpful
- Once in the pan spread your cherries and mini chocolate chips on top and press into the mixture while still warm. Try to do this ASAP as the mixture will start to stick together and makes it difficult to have your toppings properly implant
- Serve ASAP as everyone knows the BEST crispy rice treat is a fresh crispy rice treat!
Comments & Photos
Here is the same photo from the picnic, the treats are off to the left
What flavors would you think to use? I see Erewhon has crispy brown rice cereal with honey, mixed berries and strawberries! How summery! I was thinking even a version with blueberries and lemons for a lemonade type flavor? Would it work?
Humidity will KILL these treats so watch how they’re served
I used fresh dark cherries, but I think a dried variety would have been easier to work with and could have been mixed into the dish instead of on top
WHY do I love this brand of cereal so much? Want to know the ingredient of the crispy brown rice? Organic brown rice, Organic barley malt, and Sea salt. Want to know what’s in Kellogg’s variety? Rice, sugar, 2% or less of salt, malt flavor. BHT added to packaging for freshness. See? Nothing too drastic, but IMHO every little choice matters. It’s smart choices here that allow me my “bad” choices elsewhere…or so I justify.
That’s all for this installment! Check back next week for more fun recipe ideas…and if you’re local make sure you stop by to support the Burning River 100 runners. We know I’ll be out there for the 3rd year volunteering my lil heart out! Look for me at mile(s)
- 12 (Gates Mills)
- 31 (Egbert)
- 60 (Pine Lane)
- 80 (Covered Bridge)
I have to miss the finish this year due to other obligations. Everyone do your best and no regrets! Run smart and make sure you’re around to run another day if something doesn’t go according to plan. Love you all!