It was a few months ago (April 2013 actually) I posted about the different weight machines I was using and how much weight I could do on each. I also updated later to share the improvements I made. Anyone remember this? Well, I’ve long since moved away from machines and have found my way back into group classes. At least looking at the previous post, to where I am now, I see a HUGE improvement. YAY! As far as the reasoning behind group classes, there’s something about the schedule and leadership I respond to better than my own coaching methods. Although once nicer weather hits and I find a good pair of trail shoes I’ll be back out there for group runs too!
What does my “typical” gym routine look like currently?
Monday, Wednesday and Friday: I attend a 30 minute core class followed by a 60 minute Zumba class. After class I walk for about 30-40 minutes on a track. All of this is done with my friends/coworkers. EVERY once in a while I get there early and do some treadmill walking on a steep incline or elliptical work.
Tuesday and Thursday: Usually a rest day. It’s been when I grab groceries, clean up the house, or whatever other errands need completed. I walked Emily last week. There is a 60 minute class at one of my gyms I’d like to start doing though, it’s a mix of Pilates, Barre class and weight training. I tried it once last week and LOVED it. Don’t want to overdo it though by working out every day at an extreme level.
Saturday: I go to a 60 minute Pilates class, which always runs over and then head to the Zumba class. Zumba is supposed to be 60 minutes, but with the late Pilates I’m there 45-50 minutes. Sometimes I stay after to walk on a treadmill, usually I head home.
Sunday: I’ve had events some weekends (indoor tris, the 5K for St Paddy’s). Sunday is really a struggle for me, because I want to relax sooo much, but I know if I take T & R off I need to go and do something on Sunday. So when I don’t have an event, I head to the gym and do 60 minutes on a stationary bike and 60 minutes on a treadmill.
Misc: Every work day my friends/coworkers and I eat lunch together and then walk for about 30 minutes. When the weather gets nicer my one coworker and I will probably start walking on the Towpath outside of our office as well. Usually I don’t track those as “work outs” they’re just bonus movement. With the nicer weather, weekends also mean hikes with the dogs and family. I sometimes count those depending on how strenuous they feel. On days when I don’t want to do anything, I try to at least walk for 30 minutes or get to the gym to watch TV and walk the treadmill at the lowest setting. It’s still better than nothing, right? I keep telling myself “When you’re out there next month and it doesn’t hurt, you’ll be glad you did the work”.
Some of you may have read all of that and thought “HOLY COW that’s a lot of stuff, how on Earth do you fuel?” Well for the time being the following has been working.
- 1 cup of quick oats made with water. I mix in about 1/2 to 1 cup of unsweetened applesauce.
- Organic raisin bran cereal (1 cup) with 1/2 a cup of milk.
- Scrambled eggs with green peppers, red peppers, sugar snap peas and roasted poatoes
- Morning Star – Mini Corn Dogs or Chik’n Nuggets (3-4 pieces) with Green Giant Boxed veggies (usually antioxidant blend).
- 4-5 cup sized garden salad (lettuce, carrots, green peppers, red peppers, cucumbers, celery, and 1-2 hard boiled eggs). I’ll probably start adding some cooked chicken too.
- 4-6 oz of chicken or steak or whatever other meat with a box of veggies.
- Beans and Rice (Veggie chili actually, look for the recipe on Friday).
- 1 cup pasta with meat sauce.
- If I am hungry during the day I will grab an apple.
- Looking for other good snack ideas.
- Both before and after a workout I eat the same thing. A turkey sandwich. I make the sandwich with 1 Thomas’s thin bagel (whole wheat), a few slices of deli turkey breast, a few slices of fresh cucumber and yellow mustard.
Using this plan of food, plus lots and lots of water (sometimes flavored with a little fresh lime juice). I have been happy and healthy going on 2-3 weeks now. I will keep you updated on any changes I make. Especially when I move out of the “trying to lose weight” realm and into “maintaining”.
Share with me….what is your usual routine with workouts or fuel? Any changes you’ve made recently?