Happy Thursday everyone. How is your week going so far? How about your month? Everyone well adjusted to the fact it’s now February? Yikes. Time flies when you’re having fun and so far this has been a great year for me.
1. Two races I’ve received emails about and I think are worth passing along.
- If you’re local (or willing to travel) there is an event March 23rd I think looks awesome! It’s called Race a Train or Beat a Train. I can’t find an “official” name. Basically runners/walkers begin at Howe Meadow (the CVNP) and run down the Towpath for 5 miles, while trying to arrive at the end before the train. Then you board and ride back OR you run back for a total of 10 miles and 2 chances to beat the train. Doesn’t that sound like a fun twist? Details are found at the Western Reserve Racing page.
- If you live near NYC and plan on doing the More Magazine/Fitness Magazine Women’s Half-Marathon on April 13th, you may want to put your writing skills to work.
More and FITNESS magazines are launching the first-ever Women Run the World™ Essay Contest in conjunction with the 2014 More Magazine/Fitness Magazine Women’s Half-Marathon, which will be held in New York City’s Central Park.
The contest opened Jan 27th, and any woman currently registered for this year’s race can enter for a chance to win a $500 gift card, be featured on More.com, Fitnessmagazine.com, and take home an exclusive gift bag curated by the editors. Submission are accept through Match 3rd.
To be considered, submit a 200-500-word essay that describes a major milestone or accomplishment achieved during the April 1, 2012 – March 3, 2014 timeframe to email@example.com along with your name, age, address, daytime telephone number and email address. One grand prize winner and four runners up will be chosen by a panel of judges by March 21, 2014 and announced at the race on April 13, 2014.
com/#milestone-contest for all of the details
2. I’m highly enjoying my newly establish fitness routines. Well, they aren’t really routines yet since it isn’t a pattern. Last month I finished my ChallengeLoop quest for 30 minutes of activity every day #30in31. I believe I only missed 1-2 days and even on those days I wasn’t totally inactive. I’m looking at YOU Wednesday long shift and Sunday laziness. This month the challenge is renewed and I’m upping the ante for myself. I’m trying for SIXTY minutes of activity each day. I only had 30 yesterday, but the other days I managed to snag the full 60! Excellent. Join in or follow along and do your own #30in31 for Feb and report it for a chance to win great prizes!
Oh and make sure you also look into the 5 by the 5th series. Yes, I know today is the 6th, but shhh there’s several more months of fun! Plus at the end you can usually buy a medal and I find that pretty awesome. I did my 5K on the treadmill Sunday. I walked it at a huge incline after doing some biking.
FitBit is really keeping me aware of myself though and I’m catching poor patterns before they become too permanent. This week I went walking Wednesday at lunch. Sure, I normally do walk at lunch, but I almost NEVER take lunch on Wednesday. I run back to back groups and typically use lunch to zone out and prep. This week one of our new employees made me leave my desk. It wasn’t the worst thing ever, especially since I didn’t move much after work since I went to see Bring it ON! The musical.
3. My “sugar detox” is going “well”. Last week I managed to avoid unnecessary added sugars Monday through Friday (except Thursday when I went to the movies and had a box of Bunch-a-crunch). I did drink juice a few days (with added water, it’s really the only way I like juice anymore) and I did eat fast food once or twice which I know has weird added sugar, but other than that I was good. I normally eat candy with breakfast, lunch and dinner plus eat it all day at work between clients. Yes, seriously. So this is a HUGE step for me. This week I haven’t done any fast food OR juice! Excellent! Although I still have about 48 hours to go. lol. On the weekends I just throw caution to the wind and live my life. This resulted in minimal candy eating and some Cherry Coke drinking last weekend. STILL not losing weight, but I am feeling a difference. Right now my questions about me + sugar :
- Does sugar have an impact on inflammation?
- Does sugar have an impact on bloating?
- How does sugar impact my sleep? My mood? My energy?
Have a GREAT rest of the week folks. Can’t wait to share a yummy recipe for you tomorrow!