As we all know I am on a slow cooker/easy making recipe kick.Over the weekend, I found a few soup ideas I liked and combined them to make this hearty soup. If tortellini is too much for you, try using a simpler pasta such as mini bow-ties, elbows or dilanti.
Sausage and Tortellini Soup
What you need:
- 8 oz turkey sausage (or other ground sausage)
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 15 oz (1 can) red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 14 oz (1 can) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 6 oz baby spinach leaves
- 9 oz whole wheat tortellini
- Prepare sausage according to package instructions
- In a large skillet or saucepan combine broth, beans, tomatoes, and spices
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and allow to simmer 10 minutes
- Next, add the spinach and pasta, and return to boil
- Reduce heat and cover and simmer 10 minutes or until pasta is tender
- Mix in the prepared sausage, serve and enjoy!
The sausage I used was actually spicy breakfast sausage (yum), but feel free to use regular ground beef, or even slices of Italian sausage.
BTW there is plenty of liquid in this soup, I purposely served it this way to really highlight all the beautiful ingredients.
I always consider a recipe a winner when I eat it nearly every day, don’t have to freeze any of it, and everyone who crosses its path says “OHMYGOD I’m gonna steal your food”.
Are you a fan of soup? Is it OK to eat soup even as the weather gets warmer?