One thing I like to do with recipes is take one I’ve already grown to love and make it with a twist. I figured I know it’ll be a hit and the ingredients are usually in my house or bought without too much thought. Nothing is worse then picking up all your groceries, getting home and realizing you forgot an ingredient. Ugg. One of my meals of choice is un-stuffed pepper soup. Something about the peppers being in pieces rather than the holders is much more appealing to me. The other week I decided to make it, only I opted for shredded chicken instead of beef, and threw it all in the slow cooker. Yes, it was delicious!
Chicken and Peppers Stew
What you need:
- 2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 2-3 cups water
- 1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
- 1 can diced tomatoes, drained
- 3-4 bell peppers, diced (use different colors for a “prettier” dish)
- Add the chicken, rice, water and tomato sauce to the slow cooker. Place on high for 2-3 hours.
- When chicken is cooked, add the tomatoes, peppers, and any optional seasonings
- Stir and allow to cook on low 4-6 hours
- Before serving, remove the chicken and using your hands and/or fork shred it
- Combine the chicken with the veggie and rice mixture and serve
I made my batch with 3 pieces of chicken and it was very thick (as you can see) I would suggest maybe only using 2 pieces of they’re larger
I would also think to maybe use more rice and/or more water to give it more “broth” if you want a soupier texture
I didn’t use any seasonings, I thought the peppers and rice are a great taste and the diced tomatoes I used were “plain” as opposed to the fire roasted or likewise I’m obsessed with lately.