If you haven’t noticed, I’m really into this food exchange penpal program from Lindsay of The Lean Green Bean. December will mark my 1 year of taking part and each month I meet a wonderful new blogger or reader and find some treats from across the country. October was no exception and Shannon at Edible Obsessions really delivered!
I was so surprised and excited to see the Madagascar Vanilla Beans! Every time I see a post for making your own vanilla extract I get jealous and decide I’m going to try it myself. Well, Shannon helped get me over the bump by finding and sending me the beans. I think I can handle finding the vodka, a jar and a dark room.
The beets will also be a treat. I like to put beets on my salads, but I’m thinking I can probably find some type of fun holiday recipe to experiment with and vamp it up to a healthier version?
Rainbow quinoa is absolutely beautiful. Everything about the package screams beauty and health. Unfortunately, quinoa is one of the weird things I had a weird reaction to when I eat it. The last few times I tried I was left with a feeling like there was a lump in my throat and I started to feel light headed. I decided it’s best to avoid it from now on. However, again with the holidays approaching I’m SURE I can include it in a fun recipe and delight gusts or other penpals in the future? Right?
Thank you Shannon for the wonderful package, I can tell you really listened to what I remembered to tell you and tried to find unique items for me! You’re amazing!
Now for the rest of you, unfortunately, since I am posting this late signups for November have come and gone…if you’re looking for December though or into 2013, the rules should be the same…and here they are!
- On the 5th of every month, you will receive your penpal pairing via email. It will be your responsibility to contact your penpal and get their mailing address and any other information you might need like allergies or dietary restrictions.
- You will have until the 15th of the month to put your box of goodies in the mail. On the last day of the month, you will post about the goodies you received from your penpal!
- The boxes are to be filled with fun foodie things, local food items or even homemade treats! The spending limit is $15. The box must also include something written. This can be anything from a note explaining what’s in the box, to a fun recipe…use your imagination!
- You are responsible for figuring out the best way to ship your items depending on their size and how fragile they are. (Don’t forget about flat rate boxes!)
- Foodie Penpals is open to blog readers as well as bloggers. If you’re a reader and you get paired with a blogger, you are to write a short guest post for your penpal to post on their blog about what you received. If two readers are paired together, neither needs to worry about writing a post for that month.
- Foodie Penplas is open to US & Canadian residents. Please note, Canadian Residents will be paired with other Canadians only. We’ve determined things might get too slow and backed up if we’re trying to send foods through customs across the border from US to Canada and vice versa.
*If you’re from somewhere besides the US, Canada or Europe and want to participate, send Lindsay an email at email@example.com and she’ll see if we get enough interest this month!