Hey all! Did you know last week was National S’mores Day! You know it’s legit because there’s a Facebook page for it too! Growing up and even now as I continue to grow up, I always loved s’mores. They were the type of thing to round out a camping trip or a trip the backyard on a beautiful summer’s night. Catching lightening bugs, telling stories and arguing over the proper way to roast marshmallows. Speaking as the girl who puts bread in the microwave because a toaster makes it “too burnt” s’more marshmallows are the ONLY time it’s OK to burn food.
I decided to try and “health” things up a bit with my take on the traditional treat. Next time you need a variation on breakfast, maybe try this out instead?
Blueberry S’more Oatmeal!
What you will need:
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup milk or water
- 1 tablespoon Greek yogurt (I prefer Chobani)
- 1 tablespoon blueberry preserves or jam
- Handful of blueberries
- Handful of chocolate chips
- Prepare the the oatmeal by mixing the oats and water or milk (or however you make oatmeal)
- Stir in the jam/preserves and yogurt
- Sprinkle on top the fresh blueberries and chocolate chips
- Add a drop of yogurt more for decoration
- Stir again and enjoy or simply dig in!
A traditional s’more is going to have chocolate, graham crackers and marshmallow. I kept the chocolate, traded marshmallow for yogurt and traded graham crackers for the oatmeal. Not a bad switch if I do say so myself!
Feel free to invent your own variations! Drop the jam or trade all blueberry for strawberry?
Do you like to mix up your oatmeal? Did you or do you still love a s’more? What IS the right way to roast a marshmallow?