As everyone who is anyone knows, this coming Monday is my birthday! I wanted to find some type of treat to promote, but everything I came across seemed so boring. Also, how much sugar, flour and oil can one person consume? I was nearly sold on attempting my own cake pops or fro-yo when I stumbled upon this gem of a recipe. I’ve seen it posted on a few other blogs so I know it’s cool to do so with proper link back.
Blueberry Dessert Pizza
What you will need:
- 1 12” ready-made pizza crust
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup blueberry jam
- 1 cup grated part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Place cream cheese and cinnamon in a small bowl and stir together until well combined.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture evenly over the surface of the crust.
- Next, spread the blueberry jam over the cream cheese mixture.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella over the jam, followed by the fresh blueberries.
- Place the pizza directly onto the oven rack and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the cheese melts and bubbles and the blueberries just begin to juice.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes, cut and serve.
Comments and Photos:
This variation on the
Italian American classic may not be 100% healthy (hello cream cheese?), but it is loaded with blueberries, in fact I may have added even more than the original recipe since I adore the fruit and know they’re loaded with all types of nutrients (hey they’re a superfood!)
Possible cream cheese substitutions? Strain an equal amount of yogurt overnight. <–I like this idea, especially with the fruit. For vegans I read you can add a dash of lemon to coconut cream (obviously I won’t be testing this theory for you, sorry I like breathing)
Vegan change outs for the mozzarella? Apparently there are companies called “Follow Your Heart” and “Tofutti” who sell prepackaged substitutes. I also discovered this girl’s blog and a recipe for homemade vegan mozzarella.
Oh and clearly you could make some crust, but I took the lazy person’s route. Hey, being honest. I wanted to try the whole wheat crust from Boboli, but they’re jerks and made it with palm oil so I used a golden what from Frechette instead.
Have a wonderful weekend! Try taking this dish to any remaining holiday parties for the 4th? Or bookmark it and try it out for Labor Day.
PS: Winners of the tuna? Katie and Allison. Please send me your mailing information.