I think I’m going to start a new feature each month. Recently I have been sent various links and press releases for fitness or health related items and have been asked to share the information with my readers. Normally people are paid for these types of releases, but I see no problem with sharing the links and a quick snippet with all of you for free, as long as it doesn’t seem forced within other posts. This leads to my feature idea…a post sharing the collection of links each month. You all can decide what sounds like something that is up your alley and go about your business exploring more about it.
Without further ado here are the links…
1. Do you love phone apps and virtual lists? Do you grocery shop? Well, ZipList may be the perfect hookup for you! If you’re like me, you probably scope out meal ideas online and when you go to make the list you’re all “Where the eff is my notepad?” What if all you had to do was click on a different tab and type what you need directly onto your virtual list and it could later be accessed from your phone at the store? I know that is another thing I struggle with…not forgetting my list at home or losing it while at the store. I can safely say I don’t forget or lose my phone.
With ZipList, you can search recipe ideas then bookmark and organize them for later. You can search for a local store, and search for coupons then print them or have them emailed to you. The coupons are not all grocery specific either. There is even a process of working with a meal planner, another thing I love and have been trying to take advantage of more frequently.
Lists and meals can be shared with other site users. I haven’t tried this feature myself, but in concept wouldn’t that be great for a picnic or other gathering? Everyone can share what they’re planning to bring? No one has to worry about too many salads or duplicates of one dish over another and after the party when everyone has been raving about your dish, they can pop online for the recipe and take the shopping list to their next grocery trip.
2. How about some training tips from Laila Ali and Aquaphor?
Have to be honest I don’t really follow Laila Ali, but we all know I LOVE me some Aquaphor, and these tips really are universal. Of course I added my own comments to some.
· Don’t train like a man. When it comes to nutrition, equipment and training, female triathletes (any athlete) have different needs than males. For instance, women need twice as much iron as men. Thankfully there are lots of websites and books written specifically for women. Make getting the facts part of your training.
· Strength in numbers. If you want to train with a group, consider women-only triathlon camps or finding local groups that are all female. You may find more support and inspiration from like-minded individuals. If you live in Northeast Ohio, come out with the Grunt Girls.
· Prevent chafing. Apply Aquaphor Healing Ointment on your feet prior to runs in order to keep them from getting sore after running for miles. Apply it to any hot spot, such as bra lines too.
· Set a realistic training schedule that works for you. Don’t beat yourself up if things don’t always go as planned. Busy moms have to be flexible in all that we do because the kids always come first! Others know work or pets or other commitments can also sneak up us.
· Keep skin smooth and soft. While training for the Aquaphor New York City Triathlon, I have been taking showers twice a day after workouts, so to keep my skin moisturized, I mix Aquaphor Healing Ointment with my lotions. Aquaphor is also known as Eucerin many places. They make AMAZING body washes and lotions. I keep a container in my gym bag for when I hit up the pool.
· Make it a family affair. Find ways to get your workout in with the whole family. Use a jogging stroller to add resistance or have your kid time your laps. With a little creativity, you can turn quality time into a quality workout.
· Soothe and heal damage from training outdoors. I have been spending a lot more time in the sun running, biking and swimming which has caused minor sunburn and dryness. Aquaphor has helped soothe my skin and help it heal faster. I always use my Aquaphor lip balm, it heals cracks and adds life to my lips almost instantly
· Rise and Shine! I like to do my workouts first thing in the morning. I have found that if I don’t get them done early, I get busy with everything else I have to do and have no energy left.
3. Do you all know about the site FrugalDad.com? There are some seriously amazing articles on life, career, finances and a million other important things. I have to admit the layout on this site is excellent too, which helps when I’m hanging around wanting to read a bunch of stuff.
4. Ever wonder what it would be like to train at a higher altitude? Want to train like an Olympian? Well, apparently this interested a lot of people because the designers of the Elevation Training Mask received more than DOUBLE what was required to start their project over on Fundable.com.
The training mask mimics the effects of high altitude training. When elite athletes want to improve their performance they go to levels of high altitude to train. When they come back to sea level they perform much stronger, faster, and have increased their overall endurance.
Training Mask 2.0 allows you to work out more efficiently taking your work out from 60 minutes down to 20 minutes. From the average daily walker to the marathon runner, The Elevation Training Mask 2.0 appeals to every athlete who wants to improve their overall health and performance.
The page has a lot of great graphics and science to back up what they’re trying to accomplish. If this is a training route you’re interested in, you should certainly pop on over to their page and put in an order.
5. Celebrities…they’re just like us. Or so they want us to think. Another celeb I don’t personally follow is connected with a product I do use and love. Countess LuAnn de Lesseps of Bravo’s Real Housewives of New York City was recently hanging out at a social event, and shared her appreciation of Cold-EEZE. I’ve used Cold-EEZE in the past and it’s an amazing product. There is something about the Zinc which works miracles on my body. Years ago I was visiting a friend for his college graduation and suddenly grew very ill. His Mom gave me some tablets which were supposedly just plain ol Zinc and within hours I was myself again. The next time I felt a cold approaching I went to the store and found Cold-EEZE, with a box saying it has a special formula including Zinc. Once again I was quickly improved and haven’t looked for an alternative since.
When I saw this story I was greatly entertained a celebrity would use the same products as me. Wouldn’t you think they’d have some type of special class homemade guaranteed to always work ointment? Nope, instead she’s using a product available at your local grocery store or a chain like Walgreen’s.
For now, those are the links. Stop back soon for more insights into what’s around the web.