Happy June everyone!
One of my greatest guilty pleasures is going to the Macaroni Grill. Every time I go I order the same thing. The create your own pasta, with fettuccine, Alfredo sauce, sun-dried tomatoes, spinach, mushrooms and meatballs. Yum! I was pleasantly surprised when I meshed together several recipes I found in order to create what became a perfect copycat recipe for my favorite dish! Of course with this as with many restaurant foods, it’s better the next day. IMHO.
Copycat Macaroni Grill Fettuccine Alfredo
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese (Or mixed Italian blend cheeses)
- pepper, to taste
- 1 serving of whole wheat pasta (fettuccine)
- 1/2 cup baby spinach
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/2 cup mushroom, diced
- mini meatballs (homemade or frozen)
- In a medium to large sauce pan, boil fettuccine and set aside
- Dice/Chop spinach, mushrooms and sun-dried tomatoes. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter
- Once butter is almost melted, add the package of cream cheese. Note: It may be helpful to cut up the cream cheese to help with melting/blending
- After butter and cream cheese are mixed together, add the cup of half and half and the cheese
- Use milk to thin out sauce to taste, be aware sauce will thicken upon standing/cooling
- Sprinkle pepper on top for taste and appearance
- Stir together until well mixed
- Take it off the burner and set aside to thicken. Stir every few moments
- Pour over your favorite pasta
- Add vegetables and blend, ENJOY!
Photos and Comments:
To make this healthier, one can used reduced fat cream cheese, skim cheeses, skim milk and skip the heavy cream for other substitutes. HOWEVER, this may produce an Alfredo-like sauce, but it won’t be a “copycat” of MG. I’ve done many versions and enjoy them all.
What add-ins do you like with your pasta? Do you enjoy make-your-owns at places? What’s your favorite splurge dish?