Hello all. Welcome once again to another installment of Friday Food! First, allow me to say THANK YOU to all the kind and loving comments on my post from yesterday. It really has been a wonderful 3 years of blogging and it makes it even more wonderful to share each day with all of you! OK enough virtual cheese…let’s move on to something with another type of cheese. Today I present a meal I have had more times than not the past two weeks.
Chicken and Veggie Casserole
What you will need:
- 3-4oz chicken breasts (I just used two from a package)
- 1 cup broccoli
- 1 cup chopped/sliced carrots
- 1 cup corn
- 1/2 of a green bell pepper
- 4 Tbsp uncooked brown rice
- Shredded cheese
- optional: you may want cooking spray, light spread or seasonings such as dry mustard, paprika, pepper or poultry seasoning
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Steam broccoli, carrots, and green pepper.
- Pour 1/2 cup water into a sauce pan, add dry rice, steamed veggies and corn.
- Cover, turn heat to low/medium and heat until boiling.
- Once boiling, immediately transfer contents to a casserole dish and cover. You may want/need to prepare dish with cooking spray.
- Add optional light spread and desired seasonings.
- Place chicken on top.
- Cover and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove cover, sprinkle dish with cheese, cover and bake an additional 5 minutes or cheese is melted.
The first time I made it I substituted quinoa for brown rice. This time around I went with the rice and honestly I think it turned out better. Or maybe I’ve just overdone it with the Q for a bit?
This casserole is very filling and it’s “gentle” enough to have for breakfast. Not sure what I mean by gentle? Isn’t heavy.
Heck go ahead and serve it without the chicken and some eggs if it seems too much to eat chicken in the AM.
Add whatever your favorite veggies are to your mix. Squash? Zucchini? Asparagus? Peas?
Throw in some salsa for a kick! The possibilities are endless.