This Friday Food is a little different. I wanted to use two projects I saw on Pinterest, however I did not want to copy what they did word for word. So based on the photos I devised my own idea on how to produce the final results. I chose these recipes, because both involved food you may already have around the house this Easter/Passover weekend. We’re looking to recycle food folks!
The shell part is the newest item in this scenario. How many people are coloring eggs this weekend? What do you plan to do with all of those eggs? May I suggest whipping up some egg salad and stuffing it into these cute little “shells”?
In order to make these I used the following items:
- 1 can of crescent roll “sheet”
- egg whites
- food coloring
- parsley (for decoration)
- cake cones
- Roll the sheet out and cut it into strips.
- Wrap the strips around the cone to keep the funnel shape.
- Mix egg whites and food coloring together to produce orange (red + yellow).
- Brush the color onto the dough.
- Bake at 375 degree F for 15-20 minutes.
For the egg salad, use your own favorite recipe. I kept mine simple.
Egg whites + mayo + mustard +salt + pepper. I honestly did not even measure.
Note: I totally left mine in the oven too long and some of the rolls would not come off the cones. If you’re using cones, make sure you pay attention to the time! Eiip. I also think over-baking caused the color to fade. Still, I like ’em.
I’m not sure if this will all just be lying around the house post basket apocalypse. If you’re lucky enough to have left overs, why not try to make a few of these?
- mini Cadbury eggs or jelly beans
- Place pretzels in a bag and break into smaller pieces
- Melt chocolate (stove top or microwave)
- Mix pretzel pieces and melted chocolate
- Spoon onto wax paper, molding into a small circle aka “nest”
- Place 2-3 candy pieces on the top
- Allow to cool
I did click over after trying these on my own. The egg recipe was much easier in a way, it involved chocolate and peanut butter and placing it in muffin tin. Muffin tin! Why didn’t I think of doing so??
Do you recycle your left over food items? Have a safe and happy holiday weekend!