Next Saturday is St Patty’s Day, how is 2012 moving so quickly? Here is a recipe sure to please and bring comfort. Easily made the day before a weekend party, but I am giving you a whole week to prepare! I made this in the slow cooker, because I think it’s just about the greatest thing ever invented for single busy gal’s (or families). Make my food while I sleep, Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest? Thankyouverymuch. Traditionally the dish is made using mashed potatoes, I chose to keep mine diced and mash as I see fit while eating.
- 1 lb ham/bacon
- 1 cabbage head
- 2 lb potatoes
- 1 cup milk
- 1 stick of butter
- salt, pepper or seasonings to taste
- Prepare the ham in a slow cooker on high for 2-3 hours.
- Dice potatoes and set aside.
- Chop cabbage and set aside.
- When meat is finished, reduce to low heat, add potatoes, butter and milk.
- Add cabbage to the top.
- Add water if needed
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- Serve and add additional butter, salt, pepper or other spices to taste.
I used red potatoes and opted to leave the skins on. If not using a slow cooker, try to steam potatoes with skin on to preserve nutrients. Feel free to peel after steaming. Of course you may also peal and boil.
Some versions use bacon or prepare is meatless, I like the varied colors in using pork.
Apparently you can make this using kale instead of cabbage. Has anyone tried? Seems like a good idea to me!
I found tons of ways to make this on the stove in parts, but nothing on making it in a slow cooker. I totally just made it up as I went along. Feel free to send feedback on what I should change or changes you made.