Not too long ago, Beth @ Shut Up and Run posted a favorite things type list including “Creepiest Halloween Food“. Following her links and links after that and as far into the rabbit hole as I could get I landed at Not Martha and her journey of creating a meat hand for Halloween. Luckily she did all the base work so I knew generally what I wanted to do. There isn’t a link to the actual recipes for the meat and potatoes, because I have modified things over time to create something of my own.
- light color cheese of preference ( I used Swiss)
- 1 white onion (optional)
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 eggs
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- red or baking potatoes
For the glaze :
- Combine, ketchup, brown sugar, and Worcestershire sauce in a bowl until well blended.
For the meatloaf :
- Combine ground beef, egg, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Add in bread crumbs, thickening to preference.
- Using your preferred surface (counter, cutting board, wax paper) mold mixture to the shape of a hand. (In mine I made my “fingers” too short and thick, for a better look I would suggest more length). To prevent fingers from being too thin or flimsy, keep a webbing between them. This can be covered later with the potatoes.
- Place meatloaf hand on/in baking dish.
- Cover hand with the glaze mixture.
- Next cover with cheese. Careful not to make the slices too thick or it will run off and pool between the fingers. If you want, cut slices of onion for the tips of the fingers (“nails”) also place a larger slice at the edge of the hand for a “wrist bone”
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
For the potatoes:
- Peel and chop potatoes into cubes. I only used 2 potatoes and do not think there was enough to cover/surround hand.
- Place cubes in boiling water and cook until softened, careful not to over boil.
- Drain potatoes and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Mash until large pieces have been broken up.
- Add salt to flavor. (Again as I made this for a party, I made them quite plain. When served people will add butter/cream/whatever to taste as well).
- Pour potatoes onto a large serving platter or deep dish.
- When meatloaf is finished place on top of potatoes and form around fingers for a more defined look.
2 pounds of meat should create 2 hands. I only needed one hand since I’m going to a potluck so I used half the recipe.
Serve and creep out/delight your Halloween guests!